I began working as a scientific copy-editor in 2007, and I’m a professional member of the Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading. I received extensive training in scientific copy-editing at Elsevier and Nature, and I was previously the Copy-Editing Manager at Nature Reviews. I have worked on numerous journals, including New Scientist, Nature and the Trends journals.
I’ve been working as a freelance sub editor for Nature since 2013. I copy-edit ‘front-half’ material: that is, features, news articles, editorials, comments, correspondence and various other news items both online and in print. Below are a few examples of the articles I’ve copy-edited.
- How secret conversations inside cells are transforming biology
- How 2D semiconductors could extend Moore’s law
- The fight for control over virtual fossils
- A murdered teen, two million tweets and an experiment to fight gun violence
- The key to a happy lab life is in the manual
- Global warming tops the agenda as climate brings down a third Australian prime minister
- How digital drug users could help to halt the US opioid epidemic
- Preprints could promote confusion and distortion
As with Nature, I provide freelance sub-editing cover for New Scientist as and when required. I’ve copy-edited online and print features, news articles, news snippets, book reviews and comment articles as part of the sub-editing team, as well as proofreading the brochure for the New Scientist Live 2017 exhibition and the regular weekly newsletter.
- Food made from natural gas will soon feed farm animals – and us
- ‘I’m more confident’: Paralysed woman’s life after brain implant
- Video games become a political platform as the US election looms
- Pirate party prepares for first major win in Iceland elections
- Chimps and bonobos interbred and exchanged genes
I’ve copy-edited several supplements to Nature, including Outlooks, Insights and White Papers.
- Nature Outlook: Gene Therapy
- Nature Outlook: Lymphoma
- Nature Outlook: Brain Cancer
- Naturejobs Career Guide: China
- Nature Outlook: Energy Transitions
- Nature Outlook: Liver Cancer
I was the Copy-Editing Manager at Nature Reviews for more than two years, and I have undertaken copy-editing and proofreading for all seven of the life-science titles (listed below).
- Nature Reviews Cancer
- Nature Reviews Drug Discovery
- Nature Reviews Genetics
- Nature Reviews Immunology
- Nature Reviews Microbiology
- Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology
- Nature Reviews Neuroscience
Nature Research Journals
I have copy-edited articles for several of the Nature research journals, including Chemical Biology, Nature Genetics, Nature Neuroscience and Nature Structural and Molecular Biology.
I worked at the Elsevier-owned Trends journals for two years, and I have undertaken freelance work for journals such as Trends in Biotechnology and Trends in Neuroscience.
Genetics in Medicine & Pediatric Research
I checked the copy-editing on outsourced manuscripts for these journals.